Topics

HAARP Radio Jove Event on 24 July 2020

Whit Reeve

I happened to be watching a client connection on the HAARP RJ at the same time I was watching a K4 magnetic field event unfold on my Anchorage SAM-III magnetometer. I noticed two things happening at the same time.

I've attached the RSP-II plot from 1600-1700 UTC and the SAM-III magnetogram for the 24 h period. Note the deep dive in all three components (Bx, By and Bz) of the magnetic flux density and the minimum around 1620. SWPC reported there may have been some influence by a slow moving CME during the UTC day. There were no reported solar radio events.

If there was a decrease in ionospheric absorption, it was quite strong, maybe too strong.

This post is to query speculation and also to warm up for when I get my SUG spectrometer installed at HAARP.

Whit

--
Whitham D. Reeve
Anchorage, Alaska USA

Dave Typinski

That's very interesting, Whit!

I wonder what caused the /increase/ in the 20 MHz background.

If it's a decrease in ionospheric absorption, is there enough absorption at 20 MHz to allow a nearly 5 dB increase in galactic background?  I think this is what you meant by "almost too much."

Or, is it an increase in reflectivity and you started seeing a bunch of band noise from low elevation angles?

Or, it it emission from the slow CME impact particle funneling toward the poles and colliding with the upper atmosphere?  I would guess that would cause either VLF emission or optical, not anything in the HF band... but I don't know that for sure.

I think some of this must depend on the pattern of your antenna.  I know you showed it before, but I don't remember that behemoth's pattern.
--
Dave

On 7/24/20 23:23, Whit Reeve wrote:
[...]

Hi Dave - The RJ receiver is presently connected to one of the dipoles in a dual dipole antenna (not the humongous TCI-540), so it's a simple dipole pointed N-S. I was at HAARP last week but didn't have time to replace the dipoles there.

Here's another addition to the puzzle. The attached Argo plot is from my Anchorage R75 receiver tuned to 15.001 000 MHz. It shows the received WWV/WWVH carriers at 15 MHz with 1000 Hz offset on SSB. The plot starts at 1616. Note the frequency variations that start at 1622, which represents ionosphere variations that affect the received signal. This is long after sunrise almost everywhere in Alaska.

Whit

--
Whitham D. Reeve
Anchorage, Alaska USA

Jim Brown

I've seen that same sort of RSP feature from time to time on my charts and just wrote it off as RFI.  Maybe more to it than RFI.

JB

On 7/25/2020 03:47, Dave Typinski wrote:
[...]

Hawk's Nest Radio Astronomy Observatory
http://hnrao.weebly.com/

Whit Reeve

Yes, I've seen that, too.

What caught my attention was the magnetic disturbance and noise disturbance at the same time, and then also to see a disturbance at 15 MHz at the same time.

Whit
--
Whitham D. Reeve
Anchorage, Alaska USA

Francisco Reyes

What you detected could be an affect of a CME that arrived yesterday at the Earth.

It was reported today by Tony Phillips in Spaceweather:

https://spaceweather.com/

If anybody else was able to detect an increase of emission at decametric wavelength farther south, that would be interesting.

But it could be restricted to high latitudes only. But it may not be an increase in the galactic emission, it could be emission caused by the affect of the CME. Interesting anyway...

Francisco